Lakh of students every year appear in one or another engineering entrance test to get admission in the prestigious engineering colleges of the country. AIEEE and IIT-JEE are considered as two most prestigious and toughest engineering exams of the country. Most of the students who want to take admission in IITs and NITs have to clear these prestigious exams. Apart from these prestigious colleges there are various other colleges who offer quality education to students.
Aeronautical Engineering is a branch of engineering which deals into the design, manufacturing, functioning and maintenance of airborne vehicles such as spacecraft, aircrafts, helicopter and missiles. It is considered as one of the toughest engineering field. It belongs to the category of high-tech engineering which involves the study of physical science and mathematics to conduct research, development, testing, launching and manufacturing of various new air vehicles. The main area of specialisation for an aeronautical engineering covers aerodynamics, thermodynamics, celestial mechanics, control systems, propulsion and electronics.
There are number of institutes in India which offers degree and diploma courses in this field. To get admission in this course one has to meet special criteria for admission.
Eligibility for admission: A candidate should be minimum 10+2 passed in science with high percentage of marks in Science subjects and qualifying exam (JEE). A candidate must have studied physics, chemistry and mathematics at 10+2 level. To be an aeronautical engineer one should be a BE/B.Tech in aeronautical engineering.
Top 10 Aeronautical Engineering College
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai: The Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai offers an introductory course to Aerospace Engineering for the aspiring students.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai: The Aerospace Engineering Department of the IIT, Mumbai is one of the best in the country. It offers best lab facilities and boasts of world-class faculty to impart quality education. They also provide fundamental research options for frontier studies in Aeronautical Engineering.
- Institute of Technology, Kanpur: IIT Kanpur is a premier teaching and research centre engaged in engineering science instruction, in-flight laboratory work, aerodynamic testing, and indigenous design and fabrication of advanced facilities and instruments.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur: The department of Aerospace Engineering at IIT Kharagpur is featured with integrated labs for the study of aerodynamics, structures and propulsion.
- Punjab Engineering College: Punjab Engineering College offers an undergraduate degree programme in Aeronautical Engineering. With rapid changes in the professional world, the department has also focused on the drawing of the information age and has established new courses.
- Madras Institute of Technology: Madras Institute of Technology shall strive towards becoming a world-class institution by producing professionals with a high technical knowledge, professional skills and ethical values.
- Academy of Aerospace & Aviation, Indore: The Academy of Aerospace & Aviation provides maximum flying exposure to the students, a wider spectrum of Aviation-oriented courses, conduction of technical workshops at regular intervals and many other. The Aircraft Maintenance Engineering program is coupled with in-flight experience for the deserving students.
- Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, Dehradun: IIAE was started in year 1992 in Dehradun (Uttarakhand). IIAE impart academic preparation through conduct of regular theoretical classes and practical training at its own campus located near to Dehradun Airport, Dehradun.
- Hindustan College Of Engineering, Tamil Nadu: Hindustan College of Engineering was started in the year 1985, and is affiliated to Anna University, Chennai. It is one of the most sought after engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu, reputed for its highly qualified and experienced faculty, excellent infrastructure and academic excellence.
- Hindustan Institute of Engineering Technology (H.I.E.T): The Institution has trained engineers and technicians in many disciplines of Engineering. It is well equipped with workshops and laboratories. HIET is widely recognized in the Asian and African continents as a premier technical institution.
Remuneration & other benefits: As a trainee, Aeronautical engineer you can earn about Rs. 25,000 or more per month. Research organisations, aircraft developing and manufacturing organizations and other pay around Rs. 15,000 per month to aspirants. If you get opportunity to work with Airlines, you can jet start your career with a good remuneration of Rs. 40,000 per month. After a couple of years you can earn a handsome amount Rs. 80,000 to Rs. 1, 20,000 per month. Your salary depends upon your experience and knowledge of the field. You will get all other benefits as per government norms.