Chemical Engineering involves the design and maintenance of chemical plants and the development of chemical processes for converting raw materials or chemicals into valuable forms including those to remove chemicals from waste materials, to enable large-scale manufacture. It combines knowledge of Chemistry and Engineering for the production of chemicals and related by-products.
This branch of engineering is a varied field, covering areas from biotechnology and nanotechnology to mineral processing. It covers various fields of chemical technology in mineral based industries, petrochemical plants, pharmaceuticals, synthetic fibres, petroleum refining plants etc.
Chemical Engineers, the most versatile of all engineers, involve the invention, development, design, operation and management of processes in industries. So they combine the work of several fields such as those of chemists, industrial engineers, materials engineers as well as electrical engineers. Chemical engineers are responsible for the availability of modern high-quality materials that are essential for running an industrial economy. They design equipments and operate chemical plants as well as determine the problems and find the best methods of production.
Chemical engineers apply principles of physics, mathematics, and mechanical and electrical engineering, as well as chemistry. Some may specialize in a particular field, such as nano materials, or in the development of specific products.
The institutions listed below have built up reputations for producing top notch chemical engineers:
- Alagappa Chettiar College of Technology (AC Tech.),
- Anna University, Chennai
- Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani, Rajasthan
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Lakshminarayanan Institute of Technology, Nagpur
- Regional Engineering College, Trichy, Tamilnadu
- University Department of Chemical Technology (UDCT), Mumbai
- Department Of Chemical Engineering Punjab University(Since 1958)
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
The Chemical engineering syllabus includes
- Engineering Chemistry
- Chemical Process Principles
- Inorganic And Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Transport Phenomena
- Process Dynamics And Control
- Mass Transfer Operations II
- Heat & Mass Transfer
- CAD In Chemical Engg.
- Particle Technology Laboratory
- Economics And Management Of Chemical Industries
- Environmental Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Safety In Chemical Plants
- Measurements And Controls
- Chemical Process And Plant Designs
- Food Chemistry
- Dairy Chemistry And Microbiology
Job for chemical engineers will be available in
- mineral-based industries, petrochemical plants, synthetic fibre units and in petroleum refining plants.
- Chemical industries, refineries, manufacturers of acids, medicines, varnishes, paints, fertilisers.
- Pharmaceuticals, Synthetic fibres, textiles, plastics, explosives.
- Research organisations and laboratories.
Scope of Chemical Engineering in India is growing as research organizations, laboratories, defence establishments, atomic power plants, and forensic investigation departments also need chemical engineering experts. Biochemical Engineering, covered above, is often seen as one of the most popular sub-branches of Chemical Engineering but other sub-arenas that attract engineering students with alluring career prospects are Nanotechnology and Environmental Engineering.
Chemical engineering is a field having immense job opportunities which are available both in the government and the private sector. This is a separate field of engineering which is involved in the production and manufacturing of chemical with the help of the various chemical engineering practices. The candidates who undertake these kind of courses have opportunities in fields such as manufacturing sector, health services, and in research field namely the biotechnology, nanotechnology etc.
The chemical engineers have immense job prospects in various government companies. The important companies in the government sector where in the chemical engineers has job opportunities are
Since chemical engineers make very important contributions for the improvement and maintenance of the quality of life they are in much demand in today’s world.